The pet sitter is more than just the person who will offer water and food to your pets when you are not around. The best pet sitter will spend enough time with your pet and will give them exercise and will be aware of when they should get the veterinary attention. What it is more, is that the pet sitter will offer other additional services like watering plants, taking the newspaper and mails. However, you should know that anyone who calls himself a pet sitter, it does not mean that he qualifies for this job.
A pet sitter is a qualified and a professional person who will give care to the pets, and it offers both the pet and you different advantages:
- The pet will stay in the environment; they are accustomed to
- They continue with their regular routine and diet
- They get relief from staying in the area they do not know after traveling
- They get attention when you are not around.
- Your neighbors and friends will be happier since you will not burdened them with caring of the pet
- You get peace of mind when you are aware that the pet is being cared for by someone with the right knowledge
- Someone will bring the mail and newspaper into the house, so it is hard for the burglars to know that you are not around
- Someone will come to the home, so you will not drive the pet to stay in the boarding kennel
- You get to enjoy other services that are provided by many pet sitters like pet grooming and plant watering.
If you want to find the best sitter, you should start by getting the recommendation from a humane society, dog trainer, veterinarian or talk to a neighbor or a friend. You can also check online or phone directories.
You should know what to look for in the pet sitter. Before you choose a pet sitter, you should start by interviewing the candidate on the phone, or he can visit you in your home. Get the information about the:
- Can he provide written proof that he has liability insurance that will cover for negligence and accidents? He should also be bonded for protecting you against theft by the pet sitter.
- Learn about the training that he has got
- Ask if he will record the notes on your pet like routines, medications, medical conditions, habits, fears, dislikes, and likes.
- The pet sitter should be associated with the veterinary who will be able to offer service in case of emergency
- The pet sitter should be able to offer the related service like in-home grooming, play time, dog training and dog walking
- The pet sitter has to work on a written contract that spells out clearly the fees and the services
- When the pet sitter offer the live-in services, you should know specific times, they agree to be in your home for the pets, and they should be detailed in the contract
- The pet sitter should over the phone number of clients who had agreed to be their references.
After listening to a pet sitter and from the references, it is important to have in mind the prospective of the pet sitter to come to the home in order to meet the pet before you can hire him. You should check on how the pet interacts with him and see if it feels comfortable with the sitter. When everything has gone well, you have to start by letting the pet sitter to come to your home to be with the pet for some short trips before you can leave the pet entirely in his care.
If you want to enjoy the service of a pet sitter, you have to keep the following in your mind:
- Make the reservation early if you are planning to go away, mostly if it is during the holidays
- Ensure that the pets have good social behavior before letting the strangers handle them
- Affix the current identification tag on the collar of the pet
- Maintain the updated vaccination for the pet
- Leave the clear instructions giving the details about the special pet care, the responsibility of the care giver and the contacts of people to call in case of the emergency. It should also include the number of the veterinarian
- Leave the pet food and supplies in one place
- Buy all pet supplies with some extra just in case you do not come early as planned
- Buy the extra pet supplies when you get to stay longer than you though
- Leave the key with a person who is trustworthy as a backup plan.
- Show the pet sitter the safety features of the home like a security system and circuit breaker.
The following are the best pet sitters to consider
- Render Yourself Inc is the right service for you if you want to get someone who stays with the pet overnight and do pet sitting services during the day. They offer home management service also
- The other Julia: Stephanie Roberts is found among the right pet sitters or dog walkers if you live near him. He is able to offer also personal chef service
- Buckhead paws: if you want to hire the provider who can specialize in the dog walking or in pet sitting service, consider this company. They have been in the business for over 8 years, and he can help whenever you want to
- Homeward hounds pet sitting is the company of Suzi Abrams, and it is one of in-home pet sitters who are able to offer also dog boarding services. She takes good care of dogs and cats for many years.
- Scallywags pet service is a company of Helen Brockenbrough, and he is among the best providers of pet walking
- Maria’s dog services: they have staffs who are reliable, and they have in-home pet services
- Leashes and Litterboxes, LLC offers reliable dog walking and dog sitter service
- Pet sitting services: it is a team that specializes in the home sitting service for pets. They have 5-star reviews for overnight dog service
- Luna does it all offers secretarial services in addition of pet sitting
- In home pet care service: the expert offers pet sitting services that are reliable.